Sunday, August 1, 2010

Introduction to my Web Show

I am planning on starting a web show talking about the history, symbolism, and defining characteristics of various mythological creatures including vampires, werewolves, fairies, and many others.

Season one I will focus on vampires with the first several episodes being about the history of vampires in myths from several different regions and countries, then I will talk about what the vampires symbolize in these myths. After talking about how vampires are portrayed in mythology, I will talk about how vampires are portrayed in literature starting with Bram Stoker’s Dracula and finishing with Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles. I will also talk about how vampires are portrayed in the media. The last thing I will talk about in the vampire season is other creatures from legends and mythology that are similar to vampires.

Now some of you may be wondering if I will talk about the “vampires” in the Twilight series when I talk about vampires in literature/modern culture. The answer is simple, yes I shall, but the section of the Vampire season where I will be talking about Twilight will probably be during two spin-off episodes.

During this spin-off episodes for the vampire season, I will talk about two series, the first episode I will talk about Sherrilyn Kenyon’s the Dark-Hunter series and how vampires inspired the Daimons featured in her books but she was smart enough not to refer to them as vampires. In the second episode I will talk about Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series and how she pretty much spit in the face of vampire mythology and how the “vampires’ in her books are not vampires according to the criteria set by vampire mythology. It essentially will be a comparison between the mystical creatures in the both series and the traditional vampire.

I am currently just finishing up the research and writing stage of my web show, so I should be able to start uploading videos to my blip.tv account and my youtube account.

The later seasons will follow the same basic pattern that I used in the first season where I will first talk about how the creatures are portrayed in myths, talk about the symbolism of the creature, then talk about how the creature is portrayed in literature and in modern culture.

The only exception will be the season about werewolves where I will also talk about shape-shifters and skin-walkers exactly how I talked about the creatures similar to vampires during the vampire series.

During the vampire season, I am also considering doing some episodes talking about people who practice vampirism (meaning people that have in the past and present actually drank blood) including several serial killers throughout history that drank the blood of their victims, and people that suffer from Porphyria (a disease that can cause the person afflicted with it to have cravings for human or animal blood).

List of possible seasons:

Season 1: Vampires
Season 2: Werewolves
Season 3: Demons
Season 4: Zombies
Season 5: Half-Man, Half-Animal creatures
Season 6: Gods and Goddesses of the Moon
Season 7: Gods and Goddesses of the Sun
Season 8: Gods and Goddesses of Love
Season 9: Gods and Goddesses of Death
Future Seasons: I will take suggestions for future seasons if I run out of ideas. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment