Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Taking a shot at the Cullens' back-stories

Well I am finally starting on it. My own mini-series that is taking a shot at the Twilight characters' back-stories (specifically Carlisle's, Rosalie's, Edward's, Alice's, and Jasper's). A major annoyance of mine that deals with the Twilight series is the large amount of historical inaccuracies that occur in both the books and the back stories of the characters. I will write about the characters in the order that they were born (so Carlisle first, then Jasper, then Edward and Alice, and finally Rosalie). I will be pointing out what is historically inaccurate with each of those character's back-stories based on my own research into European and American history. Each essay will follow a similar layout which is explained below.

1. I will give a brief summary on the character's original back-story.

2. I will break down each part of the back story and talk about each historical inaccuracy that I notice. These inaccuracies will include everything from fashion, slang, ideologies, religious beliefs, and so on and so forth.

3. I will explain how the inaccuracies I find create more plot holes and weaken the Cullens even more as characters.

4. Finally I will present a picture of how I think the character would look if their back-stories were historically accurate and explain how if some of the historical inaccuracies were fixed that some of the Cullens' could've been stronger characters.

I am just starting on Carlisle, and I will be honest, Carlisle's and Rosalie's will be the longest due to the extraordinary number of historical inaccuracies in the back stories of those two characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment